Search Engine Optimisation & Performance
Search Engine Optimisation
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) relates to techniques used to make a website as visible as possible in Google or Bing search results.
This relates to the design, structure and content of web pages, built around the most relevant and popular keyword phrases you might use in order to help people find your website in search results.
Therefore keyword research is a good starting point:
- I use the keyword planning tool -this allows you to search for the most popular keyword phrases relevant to your niche and then rank them by estimated monthly or yearly search volume.
- I find out what your competitors are using as keyword phrases-are they using the same keyword phrases or different ones?
- I then use a plugin like the All In One SEO or Yoast SEO to apply SEO to your website.
Why is WordPress great for SEO?
WordPress is great for SEO because it allows you to easily implement these ‘on page’ techniques into your website.
For example, if you incorporate the keyword phrase in your WordPress page title, WordPress will automatically:
- use the page title as the meta title (the main link that you see in the Google Search results)
- use the opening paragraph of text on your page as the meta description (the small snippet that appears below the main link in search results).
- Once the page is published the keyword phrase will automatically appear in the URL (web address) of that page.
- WordPress also allows you to write your own titles and alt text for any images you use-this is also good for SEO.
- There are a range of plugins available that give you even more control over the way you implement SEO on your website. The two most popular plugins are the All In One SEO Pack Plugin and Yoast SEO Plugin. Both plugins feature the ability to create dynamic sitemaps -these are files that contain all the URL’s of your website and act as a kind of ‘road map’ for Google to crawl the pages of your site.
I make sure that your website performs well both in terms of page load speed and compatibility when viewed on different devices and browsers.
Page Load Speed
No one likes a slow website- a slow loading website is likely to result in visitors navigating away from the website in search of other similar websites that perform better.
Google is now taking page load speed as a factor in how it ranks websites in the search results.
I use the Google Page Speed Tester, the Google Mobile-Friendly Tester and GT Metrix to test the speed and performance of the websites I build. I then use the results to inform the steps I need to take in order to improve the page load speed of a website.
Compatibility with different web browsers & devices
I use an online browser emulator called Screenfly to test how a website renders on different devices.
SEO & Performance Audit
I can provide an SEO & Performance audit where I can:
Getting Listed on Google My Business
It is always worthwhile getting your business listed on Google My Business because:
- it’s good for your overall SEO
- Google My Business listings appear at the top of search results-this is especially true when searches are done on mobile devices.
I can help set you up on Google My Business, taking you through the steps required to fill in and submit the appropriate information to Google.